Ceisteanna — Questions. Written Answers. - Waste Disposal.

Thursday, 5 November 1992

Dáil Éireann Debate
Vol. 424 No. 10

First Page Previous Page Page of 124 Next Page Last Page

  98.  Mr. Garland  Information on Roger T. Garland  Zoom on Roger T. Garland   asked the Minister for the Environment  Information on Michael Smith  Zoom on Michael Smith   the basis for his estimate of national arisings of toxic waste at 60,000 tons and for his claim that 70 per cent of solvents are recycled; the position regarding the other 30 per cent; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

Minister for the Environment (Mr. Smith): Information on Michael Smith  Zoom on Michael Smith  The estimated annual total of 60,000 tonnes of toxic and dangerous waste and the 70 per cent recovery level for solvent wastes referred to in reply to Question No. 153 of 28 October 1992 were compiled from returns submitted to my Department by local authorities. Of the remaining 30 per cent of solvent [2503] wastes, approximately 28 per cent is either incinerated in house or exported for incineration abroad. The other 2 per cent is either chemically treated or land-filled in very low concentrations.


Last Updated: 22/05/2011 13:53:29 First Page Previous Page Page of 124 Next Page Last Page