Written Answers. - Institutes of Technology.

Wednesday, 24 May 2000

Dáil Eireann Debate
Vol. 519 No. 6

First Page Previous Page Page of 190 Next Page Last Page

  224.  Mr. Gregory  Information on Tony Gregory  Zoom on Tony Gregory   asked the Minister for Education and Science  Information on Michael J. Woods  Zoom on Michael J. Woods   the timescale for the establishment of a campus for the Dublin Institute of Technology on the Eastern Health Board lands at Grangegorman, Dublin 7; and if a site will be set aside there for the Educate Together National School project in Dublin 7. [14708/00]

Minister for Education and Science (Dr. Woods): Information on Michael J. Woods  Zoom on Michael J. Woods  The Government decision dated 10 December 1999 agreed to the development of the 65 acre site at Grangegorman, Dublin 7 on a phased basis to meet the needs of the Dublin Institute of Technology. The development of the site will be carried out on a phased and prioritised basis. The Dublin Institute of Technology is currently engaged in a strategic analysis of the educational requirements for the Grangegorman facility in the context of the institute's masterplan to develop a north city campus and a south city campus.

The Government decision further agreed that my Department and the Department of Finance assess the Grangegorman development to establish either the most appropriate public private partnership approach to the project or decide that a public private partnership is not appropriate. This assessment will take place on receipt of proposals from the Dublin Institute of Technology resulting from their strategic analysis.

Until a decision on public private partnership or otherwise for this project is reached, a timescale for the establishment of the Institute at Grangegorman cannot be determined.

A formal application for a new educate together national school in Dublin 7 has recently been received in my Department. The application [1608] is currently being examined in the planning section of my Department and a report in the matter has been sought from the Inspector for the area. On receipt and consideration of the Inspector's report, a decision on the application will be taken as quickly as possible. The question of acquiring a site will depend upon the outcome.

I should point out that it is only when a primary school has been granted permanent recognition that it becomes eligible to apply for capital grant-aid towards the cost of a school site and building. Before I can consider granting permanent recognition, I must be satisfied that, among other things, the school is likely to have a viable future.

Last Updated: 11/09/2010 03:12:44 First Page Previous Page Page of 190 Next Page Last Page