Written Answers - Community Sector Funding.

Tuesday, 11 March 2003

Dáil Eireann Debate
Vol. 563 No. 1

First Page Previous Page Page of 332 Next Page Last Page

  251.  Mr. Haughey  Information on Seán Haughey  Zoom on Seán Haughey   asked the Minister for Finance  Information on Charlie McCreevy  Zoom on Charlie McCreevy   the proposed State agencies and voluntary and community groups which wish to take up space in the new Civic Centre being built by the Office of Public Works in Coolock, Dublin 5; the proposed rents, capital costs and service charges for each of these bodies; if his attention has been drawn to the fact that the community and voluntary groups will not be able to move into the building in view of the fact that they cannot pay the rents asked for; if he will try to resolve this problem; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [7188/03]

Minister of State at the Department of Finance (Mr. Parlon): Information on Tom Parlon  Zoom on Tom Parlon  The proposed occupants of the new Civic Centre in Coolock are as follows:

State SectorDepartment of Social and Family Affairs

Probation and Welfare Service


Family Mediation Service

Eastern Health Board

Dublin City Council

Community SectorNorthside Citizens Information Centre

Northside Partnership-Local Employment Services

Money Advice and Budgeting Services

Coolock Community Law Centre

Near FM

The initial rent has been set at €15.00 per sq. ft. The Office of Public Works is funding the capital costs, viz. €15.6 million. A facilities manager for the centre has not yet been appointed and the level of service charges has yet to be determined. However, it is expected that charges will be in line with those obtaining in the market generally.

The Office of Public Works is aware that some of the voluntary sector groups are having difficulty funding the rental costs in the new centre. However, it is important to note that the primary remit of the Office of Public Works is to provide accommodation for Departments and Offices; it is not the Office of Public Works's role to fund voluntary organisations, either directly or indirectly. If additional funding is required by any of the voluntary groups to meet their rental costs, they should direct their requests for assistance to the appropriate authorities, that is, the bodies or organisations that sponsor them or provide them with funding.

Last Updated: 10/09/2010 16:55:08 First Page Previous Page Page of 332 Next Page Last Page